Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Calling

  Writing is something I've always enjoyed exploring. My entire life, I had always been attracted to creative outlets whether it be drawing, writing, sculpting or photographing which is probably why I ended up choosing hair styling as career being that the trade is comprised entirely of sculpting and painting. The added bonus of making human connections with people from all walks of life and the personal growth I've gained and hope that I've inspired in others through those interactions has been an aspect of my career that I've grown to appreciate and love almost more than the hands on creativity itself. Growing up I dreamed of being a poet or novelist but I was never fully confident in my skill and as life grew busier and busier with responsibilities, it fell by the wayside as I entered into adulthood. Lately I've been rekindling my relationship with writing through my social media accounts, writing thoughtful blurbs to pair with my photo updates and playing around with the odd book review. I began daydreaming of writing again, perhaps a book or a poem or even a simple story but I was unsure where to start. More and more I fell into this contemplation and the universe must have heard my calling because my friend Melly Kage, a fellow lover of motorcycle culture and the written picture, informed me of a story telling event called "One Time I Rode...", she would be curating at The Shop Vancouver to share personal stories of the tellers' favourite motorcycle experiences and she wanted me to be one of the hand chosen story tellers. I was elated and yet extremely nervous at the same time. My nerves and hectic schedule almost made me decline but I thought that if I could sit down and write a story to completion then I would have to confirm my spot... and also, I've been playing a game with myself for the past few years, a game of if it terrifies me (and is not going to kill me) then I must do it. This game has been extremely challenging for a creature of comfort like myself but my life has grown much more colourful and rich with many successes since I started playing.
  One evening after everyone had gone to bed, I sat at the computer and began typing. Once I had started I could not stop. I had to force myself to take a break for sleep but even as I lay in bed hoping for rest, I couldn't quiet my mind. Adjectives and verbs criss-crossed, overlapping behind my eye lids, enticing me to continue on. I knew that I needed to finish this story. It needed to be told. The event was an amazing success and even though leading up to it I felt like I was going to either pass-out or puke before I could speak a word of my story, I somehow managed to pull my shit together and share it with over 30 people. Others, inspired by the chosen story tellers of the evening took the "mic" and shared their wacky, inspiring stories of two-wheeled victories and at the end of the night we all left with our heads in the clouds.
  Travelling is something that my husband and I love to do and plan to do in abundance over the next few years. About a month ago I had the sudden idea of starting a blog to share the stories of our many adventures, but I thought, would I be able to keep it up? Who would read it? Well it doesn't matter anyway because I owe it to myself to give it a try do it. So here we are. Here you will find tales of adventure, of failures and triumphs and of vulnerability and inspiration with the odd entry of poetry and random brain rattle. So begins this journey...

[I want to thank my friend Melly for the wonderful witchy way of hers that tapped into and summoned my inner magic.]

"Do or do not. There is no try."~ Yoda

No comments:

Post a Comment